Welcome to the next mission set of your child’s mentorship program with Moxie!
All Moxie learning missions are based on National Standards. National Education Standards are the learning goals for what students should know and be able to do at each grade level. Moxie’s mission sets are based on social-emotional learning standards developed by CASEL: https://casel.org/core-competencies/
Here’s a brief overview of what this mission set looks like:
MISSION SET THEME
This mission set’s theme is Making Mistakes. Mentors will help Moxie learn about making mistakes, how they are a part of learning, and how to deal with the feelings that arise and any potential consequences.
MISSION SET OBJECTIVE
To introduce your child (mentor) to the concept that everyone makes mistakes, and what’s important is how you deal with your mistakes, and learn from them.
There are eight missions in this set. These missions are designed to help children think deeper about the theme of making mistakes and translate some of what they have learned into their everyday lives. This Mission Set your Moxie Mentor will:
- Discuss what a mistake is.
- Help Moxie learn about inventions that came about because of a mistake.
- Discover how making mistakes can be a good thing.
- Help a robot back at the G.R.L. figure out what to do after making a mistake.
- Talk about emotions that happen when you make a mistake and how to move forward.
- Learn the technique of “elevator breaths” for self-soothing.
- Draw a picture made up of “happy little accidents.”
- Summarize everything learned about making mistakes for the robots at the G.R.L.
Each mission set works on specific social-emotional learning (SEL) goals. The missions in this set work on the following goals:
- Understand the concept of making a mistake
- Understanding emotions felt when you make a mistake
- How to support others when they make a mistake
- Problem solving after making a mistake
THINK ABOUT IT
How do the people in your life handle mistakes? How do you handle them? Do you demonstrate forgiveness for yourself when you make a mistake? Do you forgive others when they blunder?
Help your child bring lessons learned with Moxie into everyday living:
- Talk about ways to make yourself calmer when you make a mistake. Show your child how to do elevator breaths. To do an elevator breath, place one hand on your heart and one on your stomach. Take deep breaths followed by long exhales and feel your chest and stomach rise and fall.
- Look for ways to show your child the good that come from mistakes, whether it is drawing or writing or baking or crafting.
- Common Sense Media: https://www.commonsensemedia.org
- Center for Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation: http://www.ecmhc.org/index.html
- Useful sections on friendship, problem solving, and emotions
- Britannica For Parents: https://parents.britannica.com
- Articles on Social and Emotional Learning
Article is closed for comments.