Welcome to the next mission set of your child’s mentorship program with Moxie!
All Moxie learning missions are based on National Standards. National Education Standards are the learning goals for what students should know and be able to do at each grade level. Moxie’s activities are based on social-emotional learning standards developed by CASEL: https://casel.org/core-competencies/
Here’s a brief overview of what this set looks like:
MISSION SET THEME
This mission set’s theme is Making Friends. Mentors will help Moxie learn about friendship and the important skills needed to be a good friend.
MISSION SET OBJECTIVE
The objective of this mission set is for the mentor (child) and Moxie to explore the concept of friendship and share strategies and conversation-skills that are helpful when making a new friend.
There are seven missions in this set. These missions are designed to help children think deeper about the theme of making friends and translate some of what they have learned into their everyday lives. This Mission Set your Moxie Mentor will:
- Discuss the concept of friendship with Moxie.
- Write and toss a “worry list” to get rid of anxious thoughts and focus on positive ones.
- Identify places where someone can make a new friend.
- Learn the S.H.O.W method for having a conversation with a new friend.
- Make and use a “W Question Cube” of conversation starters.
- Practice new friendship skills with others.
- Summarize everything learned this week for the robots back at the G.R.L.
Each mission set works on specific social-emotional learning (SEL) goals. The missions in this set work on the following goals:
- Understand what friendship means
- Conversation skills (i.e. introducing yourself, staying on topic)
- Asking and answering “Wh” questions
- Finding common interests with others
- Dealing with anxiety
THINK ABOUT IT
What does friendship mean to you? What do you think makes someone a good friend? What are some good questions to ask to get to know someone?
Help your child bring lessons learned with Moxie into everyday living:
- Role-play making a new friend with your child using popsicle stick puppets and a cardboard box Puppet Stage! Remind them of the S.H.O.W method and “W Questions” cube they did during Moxie Missions if they get stuck.
- Make a beaded friendship bracelet with the letters “S.H.O.W” on it that your child can wear to remind them of tools they have when talking to friends.
- Play 20 Questions to help your child get used to asking and answering questions.