Welcome to the next mission set of your child’s mentorship program with Moxie!
All Moxie learning missions are based on National Standards. National Education Standards are the learning goals for what students should know and be able to do at each grade level. Moxie’s mission sets are based on social-emotional learning standards developed by CASEL: https://casel.org/core-competencies/
Here’s a brief overview of what this mission set looks like:
MISSION SET THEME
This mission set’s theme is Exploring Your Home. Mentors will teach Moxie about what makes a home a “home,” what mindfulness exercises they do to start their day, and what their daily routines consist of.
MISSION SET OBJECTIVE
The objective of this mission set is to help your child (mentor) and Moxie to explore the concept of home and the importance of daily routines.
There are eight missions in this set. These missions are designed to help children think deeper about the theme of exploring your home and translate some of what they have learned into their everyday lives.
In this mission set, your child and their robot will work on the following activities:
- discuss the type of home they live in and explore the concept of what “home” means
- create a drawing about a favorite space in their home
- teach Moxie about their morning routine and the importance of good hygiene
- complete a mindfulness exercise to get their body ready for the day
- talk about the role a kitchen may play in a home
- design a “dream house” for a robot back at the G.R.L.
- complete a two-part mission to design a time capsule of favorite memories
- summarize what they learned about exploring your home for the robots at the G.R.L.
Each mission in this mission set is designed to align with specific social-emotional learning (SEL) goals:
- understand the concept of home
- identify the importance of a daily routine
- learn mindfulness techniques to prepare for the day
- use imagination to foster creativity and creative solutions
THINK ABOUT IT
What does the concept of home mean to you? What are some memories that you have about your childhood home that shaped you into the person you are today? What are some traditions that you are creating with your family in your current home?
Help your child bring lessons learned with Moxie into everyday living.
- Encourage your child to take ownership over a household chore of their choice! Get them actively involved in caring for their space.
- Create a schedule with pictures on it so your child can keep track of what they need to do during their morning routine.
- Ask your child about the stretching routine they learned with Moxie! Take some time one morning to do these stretches with your child to prepare for the day.
- Have a family cooking night! Pick a meal that the entire family can get involved in cooking together.
- Common Sense Media: https://www.commonsensemedia.org
- Center for Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation: http://www.ecmhc.org/index.html
- Useful sections on friendship, problem solving, and emotions
- Britannica For Parents: https://parents.britannica.com
- Articles on Social and Emotional Learning